- 2 carrots, roughly chopped
- 140g turnip, swede or sweet potato
- 2 onions, roughly chopped
- 3 celery sticks, roughly chopped
- olive oil and butter/marg, for frying
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- 1kg boned leg or shoulder of venison, diced
- 5 tbsp plain flour, seasoned with salt and pepper
- 2 tbsp redcurrant/hawthorn/damson jam
- 450ml dry fruit wine (I used extra dry damson)
- 450ml beef or venison stock
- 2 thyme sprigs
- 1 bay leaf
Heat the oven to 180 degrees.
Fry the vegetables for 5 minutes, add the garlic for a further minute. Remove to a bowl.
Coat the diced venison in flour salt and papper and cover well. Fry off, sealing the dice. Remove to a bowl.
Add wine and jam to a pan and bring to the boil. Add stock, thyme and bay, then the meat and vegetables.
Transfer to an oven dish and place in the oven for 1 1/2 hours. Check to ensure dice is tender before removing. Garnish with hearty spinach according to taste!